Friday, February 1, 2008

Pets: Nita Daniel

Howard Wants Bacon by Nita Daniel
(click on image to see it larger)

"This photo shows my dog, Howard. For me, the photo is as much about the people you don't see: my second cousin (now deceased), his wife, and my great-aunt Betty. Howard had just spent twenty minutes listening to the humans talk while being handed whole slices of premium bacon. A few minutes before taking the photo, I had put a moratorium on the handouts, and his reaction was flabbergasted dismay. There's not a little desperation and hope there too; he's aimed at the kitchen door.

"I took this picture without looking—just popped the camera (a Fuji Finepix E550) under the table for a moment. I have hundreds if not thousands of photographs of Howard, and many of them are objectively better than this one. I also have a handful of photos of each family member present that day. However, it's this photo of his reaction that plunges me right back into that morning of brunch, dog admiration, and meandering conversation."

No comments: